Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homestudy Update!

Happy Wednesday everyone! The week is half over! I am even more excited about this work week ending since I have a 3 day weekend ahead. My cousin Alysn is getting married so we will be traveling to the great state of PA for the festivities. I expect absolute crazy dancing at this particular reception, good food, and lots of great company! I know Alysn is going to be a beautiful bride (Justin you will look nice too!) and thankfully it looks like the weather is going to be fabulous. I will make sure to post pictures when we get back!

In the adoption world we continue to move right along with all of our paperwork. I am so proud of how much Aaron puts up with me. I can be rather, ummm, bossy (wait, did I just say that about myself?) when it comes to checking things off of lists and he has done a nice job putting up with me so far. He has even been checking things off the list himself without me having to ask. He is so excited about all of this and I know he is going to make a great father someday! We finished the assessment narrative this week which was "interesting" to say the least. To be honest, I was about ready to pull my hair out after answering only 10 questions and we had at least 20 more to go. Our one-page profile (which will be sent to birthparents who inquire about the agency we chose) was printed and delivered to our doorstep today. It looks awesome. I am so pleased with the quality. We went through Office Max and I would highly recommend it to anyone needing to create jobs in mass quantities. Like I said, the print job was great and the price wasn't bad either. We won't recieve our profile/life books until the end of the month but now I am getting anxious to see how they turned out. All other busy-work has been completed and our training courses are underway. We plan to complete several trainings each week so that we can be done for our.... (insert suspenseful music here)...HOMESTUDY, which has been scheduled for the evening of June 8th!!! We have some safety things we need to complete on our home to get ready for the inspection (i.e. outlet covers, lock lower cabinets, put up all cleaning supplies, etc.) but I am really excited for the next several weeks to go by quickly. Once our homestudy is done and we send our completed profile books to the agency we will be officially "waiting".

With our homestudy list getting shorter I have been bitten by the buying bug. I am starting to get antsy about wanting to buy baby products. For the first time in nearly two years I don't fear the baby aisle at Wal-Mart! This may seem strange to some of you but as someone who has dealt with infertility the baby aisle and baby products in general used to cause an overwhelming sense of anxiety and sadness for me. However, I will have to contain myself for a little while longer. Aaron and I agreed we wouldn't purchase anything until we were actually "waiting" for a child, and even then it will be minimal as we have no idea when we would even be matched with birthparents (it could be 1 week or it could be 1 year). Even so, I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

On top of all of the paperwork that I have been completing I have also been reading a lot of books on adoption. I like to read so all of this reading and learning isn't too overwhelming (not gonna lie though, after seeing 10 patients on Tuesday and having to come home to work on paperwork I had a mini meltdown-nothing a small glass of wine couldn't take care of). Aaron on the other hand thinks I am crazy. I subscribed to an adoption magazine called Adoptive Families as he enjoys reading magazines rather than sitting through an entire book. The magazine also came recommended by our agency so I hope he can find something he is interested in and learn from it the way he enjoys.

One thing that has surprised me recently is the ever-growing desire to want to pray for our child's birthparents. This topic was actually brought up on another adoptive parent's blog that I read every so often and confirmed the fact that I am indeed not crazy for thinking this way. I feel this need to pray for these unknown individuals; to pray for their health, for wise decision-making, for their happiness, for comfort on difficult days, for their faith, courage, confidence and love. I pray for the road that will lead us together someday!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment