Saturday, September 15, 2012

Coincidence? How about a "God-incidence"!

I know it has been over a week without any updates. Life has been so busy around here. Work is crazy and I have been having to stay later than usual. On top of that, as you know, I have joined a women's group at church and we are also attending a weekly one hour adult group on Wednesday nights that our church has put together. This past Wednesday was the kick-off and they had this speaker:

http://guslloyd.com/

He spoke about 11 attributes of a magnetic christian (he also wrote a book about this). It was awesome! He also spoke a great deal about how he no longer has the word coincidence in his vocabulary as he believes there is no such thing. Rather, he calls those moments a "God-incidence". More than ever in my life I believe this. God truely puts situations and people in your life for a reason and for a greater good. During his speech I was reflecting on several moments lately in my life that I could pinpoint a "God incidence". One in particular was the day we decided we would be adopting a child sometime in our life.....

The night before our "God-incidence" Aaron and I had an argument. This was back in January/February. I don't really remember anymore what it was specifically about but my guess is it had something to do with our infertility. At this time our emotions, at least my emotions, were not under control regarding this matter. We were embarking on our first IVF after a failed IUI. I was devastated, wanted to keep pursuing treatments, felt like I was being led to give IVF at least 1 attempt and liked my doctor a lot. However, I also struggled with the Catholic belief surrounding fertility treatments (this will be another topic sometime). In the midst of our argument we parted and tried to cool off in separate rooms of the house (It wasn't until months later that Aaron told me during that time he got on his knees and prayed). Later that evening we forgave eachother for our actions and had a much more mature discussion about our situation. I remember both of us saying things like, "I wish God would just tell us what we are supposed to do".  We finally went to bed as we were exhausted by that point. Little did we know God had a big plan in the works for us the very next morning.

For whatever reason, neither of us can remember anymore, either Aaron left for work later than usual or I left earlier and we ended up being in our cars on the way to work at the same time. About 15 minutes down the road I heard a radio announcement on the WBCL that started something like this.."Have you ever considered adoption as a way to start your family?" They continued to talk about adoption and gave a specific website that I did not catch. I turned the radio up and continued to listen. I was floored. Weren't we just talking about this last night? I immediately tried to call Aaron but couldn't get through. Tried again and still couldn't get through. A few seconds later my phone rang...it was Aaron! He was trying to call me as I was trying to call him. He had heard it too (at this time Aaron did not regularly listen to this radio station but happened to have it on that morning)! Neither of us caught the entire web address that they were talking about and told eachother to listen throughout the day to see if they would announce it again. They never did. This was a one time only message. WOW! I get chills everytime I think about it.

That night when we got home from work we tried to search for the website and eventually found it. Here is the link for those that are interested: http://www.adoptionjourney.com/

This moment changed our lives forever. While we continued to pursue IVF in March our hearts were opened to the thought of adoption more and more. When our treatment failed we hardly had to discuss what our next step was going to be. Although all "God-incidences" are miraculous we will be forever grateful for this particular moment.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment