Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Season for Everything!

What's that? Two posts in one day. This morning I didn't have time to post everything I wanted to and I have some time this evening to make some updates. Also, Aaron is at a parish finance meeting so I have the house to myself (although the cats are still here vying for my love and affection of course).

First of all, we had a wonderful weekend despite the fact that I had ANOTHER fainting episode. It is getting old real quick so I have decided to make an appointment with a cardiologist as recommended. The episodes are becoming closer together than ever before and more severe as well so it is time that I truly do something about it. That coupled with the fact that it is down right embarrasing to faint in public so often. Unfortunately, this most recent epidsode happened while enjoying an afternoon at Sauder Village with our nephews so it put a damper on everyone's day. We also had a great visit with Aaron's sister, Ali, and our nephew, Jack. Here are some pictures from their stay with us:

 Aaron & Jack petting "Mark" the horse

 Making biscuits in the 1910 summer kitchen

 Riding the train (this was pre-fainting!)

 Jack LOVED Orzo!

Who would have thought the box was more fun than the tractors!

In other news, our profile was actually shared with a birthmother this past weekend! It was for a baby girl due August 2nd. However, we were not chosen. While heartbreaking we know that God has a plan and this baby girl was meant for another family. Our time will come. In the meantime, this means we need to get going on the nursery. I know that once a baby comes we won't be thinking about the decor of the room and I would at least like to get some paint on the walls, bedding ready, and a car seat.

I almost forgot to mention that our paperwork is in to our other agency we are signing with. I got a call today that they are just waiting for our homestudy information from our first agency then we can continue on with the process with them as well!

When thinking about what I wanted to write about today I wasn't sure if I wanted to include what I am about to write or not but after some careful consideration and several instances today I think now is the time. A common theme that is discussed on adoption message boards is "what crazy things have people said to you when they found out you were adopting?" I love these threads because more often than not I have experienced several of the same phrases. They make me laugh and make what can often be a discouraging conversation with someone more lighthearted. One phrase that I commonly hear is "you're adopting? you'll definately get pregnant now!" I know the person means no harm by this phrase but the chances are slim. Not only have I not gotten pregnant via the most advanced medical intervention but this is actually very rare. One statistic I have found states that only 1 in 8 infertile couples became pregnant after ending fertility treatments, and that number was the same whether the couple adopted or not. Like many adoptive mothers this not only bothers me because I hear this phrase in place of "Congratulations!" or "that's wonderful!" but it implies that adopting a child is second best. For me, I always feel like the person is trying to make me feel better about "having to adopt". This is not how I view adoption though. Adoption for Aaron and I is not a second choice, it is one of many choices to add to our family.

There are several other common phrases I often hear from well-meaning individuals but I will tackle those another time.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 comment:

  1. I think your pictures are super cute! Also I really like when u talked about "common themes" you are hearing that can be hurtful...I think that it's good for everyone one to understand if they have not walked in your shoes, but as soon as you write it....it's like oh that makes so much sense...just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete