Thursday, August 9, 2012

We Got a Call!!!!

I have gone back and forth the past day about whether or not to post this news but decided that this is a great opportunity to continue to educate everyone about the inner workings of open adoption.

Yesterday we recieved a call from our agency director that a set of birth/expectant parents would like to meet us (as well as two other sets of adoptive parents)!! YAY!! I missed the phone call from our director as I had a super busy day at work but Aaron was able to talk to her and then tried to get a hold of me but couldn't. Talk about frustration! Anyways, I eventually checked my phone and saw a missed call from our agency and then a text from Aaron so I knew something was going on but not sure what. After hanging up the phone I went through a whole bunch of emotions. I was excited, nervous, and wanted to cry all at once and we haven't even been chosen yet. I said a prayer which calmed me down and went about the rest of my day as best as I could.

You might be a little confused at this point so let me explain. Some adoptions are closed (neither family meet or know eachother) and others are open or semi-open adoptions (the birthparents choose the adoptive parents; you exchange information and get to know eachother). Many adoptions are open or semi-open these days. Some are closed and that is fine. All situations are unique! Please note: This is a very quick explanation regarding the types of adoptions if you would like more information please refer to my book list.

In all of my posts about birthfamilies please keep in mind that I will not be sharing any identifying information. I will simply give the facts as that other information is not mine to give and confidential. We know a bit about the couple we will be meeting with and they know some about us already as well. What happens from here is they meet with the couples they have chosen so far, get to know us a little better, and continue to narrow down their choices. What many people say is the birthparents often get a good sense from these meetings about who they click with and who they don't. Like any relationship sometimes you have a lot in common and feel comfortable and other times you just don't mesh. We have no idea what the end result of this meeting will be. We don't know if we will ultimately be chosen to parent this baby but what we do know is we are excited to be given this chance to meet two awesome individuals who are trying to figure out how to give their child the best life possible. They love this little one so much and we can't wait to learn more about them!

I know I know you are wondering "aren't you going to be so upset if you aren't picked?" The answer is YES, but God has a plan and will make it alright. If we aren't meant to be this child's parents then another couple was chosen that this birthfamily clicked with and that is ultimately who should parent the child in the end. Tears will be shed I'm sure, but I am confident that our time will come and more importantly we will have learned a little more about what this amazing journey is all about.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking about you both and the parents. I hope they see what wonderful people you and Aaron are and how our whole family can't wait to embrace the newest member.

    ReplyDelete